Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Wise One

On August 17, 2007 a stranger approached Dia and I outside of Trader Joe's.  Quite randomly she began telling me all about Dia, her future, and this: She said Dia picked me as a mom 2-3 years before she was born and that she'd chosen well.  She said I was placed on this earth for a very specific purpose and that Dia picked me to help me carry out that purpose.  She said I wrote incredibly well but that my writing wasn’t for me, it was for “us” (meaning her and collectively other people) but that we have Free Will so it was up to me to see to that.  Only when I asked, did she tell me her name was Antonia and I think she said her last name was Love and then she said goodbye.  She didn’t want anything, wasn’t selling anything, didn’t even suggest a website, book or anything.  It was crazy, but awesome.  And it has stuck with me since.

Today, not quite 5 years later, I was reminded of that foretelling when I was chatting with Dia about my latest blog post.  I was waffling on whether to post it at all much less whether to broadcast it on Facebook.  I was worried, because it speaks of God, that it might offend people.  As I was working through this dilemma out loud, I began to wonder why I even had my blog in the first place.  I explained to Dia (and myself) that practically no one reads it and I honestly don't know the purpose of it.  Why do I even write the blog at all?

"It's your hobby, Mom."  Dia began.  "It's what you do.  You write.  You're a writer.  That's why you never feel like anyone loves you - because you aren't doing what you love more.  You should write for everyone.  You are so good at it."

I began to smile, but didn't respond because I didn't want to break her train of thought.  Of course I loved hearing the words.  I was flattered and happy but I felt like she was going somewhere with this.  She was.

"You need to write your book.  Just do it.  Just finish it.  Then once that's done, you need to write many more children's books and take them to the schools.  Children need books, Mom, and they don't have enough.  You tell the best stories.  You should make them into books if you can remember them.  You should make Turtle and Hippo into a book.  I'll draw the pictures for you."  She thought about that last little bit and decided "Grandma will draw the pictures.  I'll color them in."  

She smiled with that and nodded with a satisfied expression.  I looked at her and just smiled back.  "I love you." I said finally.

I know it's a child's perspective.  I know I can't just write a book and take it to the schools.  I know I can't make a living as an author of children's books.  I mean, who do I think I am - Dr. Seuss?  I've also always been haunted by Antonia's statement that I was placed on this earth to carry out a specific purpose and that my writing was for the collective good.  How is a story about a turtle and a hippo going to better this world?  

Anyway - that's where my mind went when I was given a chance to think a little bit.  Of course those thoughts are nothing more than doubts and fear, but if you asked me I would say I'm being realistic.  My Dia, though?  She believes in me.  She believes it all can happen.  So why shouldn't I believe as well?

What could you accomplish if no one told you it was impossible?

Let's go find out.

4 comments:

  1. "It's what you do. You write. Your a writer.

    -You're a writer***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted, Anonymous, and corrected. And humbled to a certain degree, but when I'm a published author my editor will catch that kind of stuff for me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And I you my love. You, of course, are the one that encourages me the most. The book you want me to write will come... eventually ... but for now at least I know that I have a rabid fan in the wings.

      Delete