Friday, September 9, 2011

Water Doesn't Upset You

Our last stop on our summer vacation was in Cambria.  The hotel was supposed to have a very nice breakfast buffet, served to 10:30 a.m.  Dia had been sick on this vacation, so I was letting her sleep as long as she needed.  At 10:00 she awoke.  I hurriedly got us both ready and we rushed over to get the final scraps of breakfast only to find that the buffet was over.  I'd misread the pamphlet.  I thought it was breakfast from 7:00-10:30 but, in fact, it was 7:30-10:00. 

We returned to the hotel room, me feeling extremely defeated, and I decided to ready myself properly for the day.  As we stood in the bathroom together while I did my makeup, I cried rather dejectedly to Dia "I don't know why every little thing is upsetting me so much these days." 

She turned on the water faucet.  I thought she was just playing with the water because she likes to do that.

"Look" she said.
 
I looked, but didn't see what she wanted me to see.  I shook my head a little, shrugging.  "Hm?"

"Water doesn't upset you Mama."  She said.  "Does it?"

My first response was one of annoyance: sigh... of course water doesn't upset me, that's not what I mean... complain, mutter, complain... But fortunately this all stayed in my thoughts and lasted only the milliseconds it took to think them.  Instead out loud I said "No, baby, water doesn't upset me."

The list went from there.  Out of my sweet 5 year olds' mouth was the reality.  "This cup doesn't upset you, the toothbrush doesn't upset you, your shoes don't upset you, I don't upset you.  See?  Not every little thing upsets you!"

See why I love her so much? 

And we had the best breakfast ever, by the way.  We sat at the little table in the hotel room, in front of a window looking out onto a garden and had a feast of tuna salad, cheese sticks, crackers, grapes and smiles.  No breakfast buffet in the world was finer.

1 comment:

  1. Out of the mouths of babes!! Mama just needed a little reminder, that's all. Sounds like God gave you each the perfect mom/daughter!

    ReplyDelete