Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Love, Me

This one is for the ladies, I suppose. Though I cannot say if the gentlemen have the same issue. Perhaps they do, but they have learned to just keep it on the D.L. Regardless, since I've only been a woman in this lifetime, I can only speak with authority from a girl's perspective.

Think about this one for a second:
Do you treat yourself as well as you treat your best friend?
How about as well as you treat your general friends? Acquaintances? Your dog?

Yes?
Truly?

Because I know so many absolutely gorgeous women that have rarely, if ever, seen how beautiful they are. This quest for outer beauty drives so many of us to attempt to achieve an ever-impossible level of perfection, ignoring any inner glow we might cultivate. Too heavy, we diet. Now skinny, we get breast implants. We pluck, dye, microdermabrase, inject, wax, tan, sweat, starve, and generally abuse ourselves without the slightest second thought. Yet we're never content with the results. We always find more flaws.

And here's why I asked the friend question. Could you even remotely fathom telling your friend "Before you had your daughter, you were so much skinnier. You were also younger, prettier, more interesting and your boobs were perky. And while we're at it, is that a pimple on your nose?" I mean, seriously! We would never be as abusive to a friend as we are to ourselves.

Oh, and I am superiorly criminal of this. Or was anyway. Now I see photos from when I was young and think "How could I have even thought those horribly self-destructive insults!" I have vowed that from now on I shall see the outer beauty I still maintain, the inner beauty I continue to gain and to be a good friend to that gal in the mirror.

You should too - because I guarantee you, you ARE beautiful!

KEC

No comments:

Post a Comment